Saturday, September 1, 2012

What’s Really Making You Fat: How to Eliminate Food Addiction For Good

The following is an article from Matt Clark, Co-Creator of "The Source Diet" (check it out at http://scrnch.me/38qhs). I thought this was a very important topic to share with you because, once you eliminate food addiction, your weight loss is nearly guaranteed.

“Addiction is defined as the compulsive use of a habit-forming substance. It is characterized by tolerance and well-defined physiological symptoms of withdrawal.” (From The Alcohol and Addiction Cure by Chris Prentiss)

The Source Diet

While I hesitate to use the word “disease” when describing food addiction, this health issue is a very serious one that affects millions of people. The addiction some people have to food is no different than the addiction some people have to alcohol and even drugs.

Using the definition above, someone who compulsively eats and physiologically experiences symptoms of withdrawal when the bad food is removed from the person’s diet, is addicted.

Have you ever tried to completely stop eating bad food or make any dramatic change to your diet? I did.

I am not overweight, but I am always trying to improve my health. So, a few weeks ago I bought “The Raw Food Detox Diet” by Natalia Rose because I have heard of the great energy you feel when on a raw food diet.

So, I decided to go all in and go 100% raw in one day – I even bought a Jack LaLanne juicer from Target that night. I made my juicer drink that night and in the morning. I also separated my proteins from my carbs and started eating fruit only BEFORE eating any other foods. I lasted approximately 24 hours. I felt like crap.

My head hurt, I felt a little nauseous, I didn’t have any energy to workout that morning, so I quit and got some Chik Fil A for a late lunch that day because my body was craving carbs (this was the first time I had ever experienced a craving for carbs).

Making such a dramatic change to an otherwise pretty healthy diet was enough to throw my body out of whack. This is a very similar effect changing to a pretty healthy diet from a very bad diet will have on you.

In The Alcohol and Addiction Cure, Chris Prentiss says that the four causes of dependency are the following:

1. Chemical imbalance
2. Unresolved events from the past
3. Beliefs you hold that are inconsistent with what is true
4. Inability to cope with current conditions

Relating this back to weight loss, your addiction to food might be caused by stresses in your life as it exists now, past events, or even beliefs you have about how you should be.

Like every self-improvement book ever made says, often your environment has the greatest impact on who you are and what you do. Your job, your friends, your family, and even living conditions are impacting your habits – like eating.

If you socialize with friends who are overweight and believe that they will always be overweight so “what’s the point”, then this is going to have a dramatic impact on your relationship with food.

Additionally, if stresses in your life cause you to turn to food, your coping mechanism might need some adjustment.

Here are some quick ways to curb your addiction to food:

1. Change your environment – this could mean changing who you hang out with (believe it or not, you can find friends of any size, shape, color, or attitude – choose the ones that make you feel good long-term)

2. Instead of reaching for junk food, take a walk with some great music – this new coping mechanism will greatly improve your end result (feeling better and being more happy) while improving your health at the same time

3. Snack, a lot (on healthy food) – always keep snacks such as almonds and dried fruit around so you never feel starving (a sure way to go straight for bad food)

In Why Weight by Geneen Roth, the following guidelines for eating are provided to help food addicts quickly change their habits:

1. Eat when you are hungry.

2. Eat sitting down in a calm environment. This does not include the car.

3. Eat without distractions. Distractions include radio, television, newspapers, books, intense or anxiety-producing conversations, and music.

4. Eat only what you want.

5. Eat until you are satisfied.

6. Eat (with the intention of being) in full view of others.

7. Eat with enjoyment, pleasure, and gusto.

Want to know the secret to burning fat automatically using a strange, but incredibly healthy technique called the 12 Hour Fast?

Get the secrets to eliminating belly fat fast at…

http://scrnch.me/38qhs

Take control of your health and your body!

Matt Clark
Co-Creator of The Source Diet
http://scrnch.me/38qhs

No comments:

Post a Comment